Diary of a happy black woman

Monday, April 17, 2006

WHOOO It's HOT!!!!
Isn't this supposed to be the beginning of SPRINGTIME? Well, here in good ol' Texas it feels like it is Summer. Today it wasn't just 92 degrees.... but it was 92 degrees TEXAS STYLE. Have you ever heard the saying that "everything is bigger in Texas"? Well, that goes for the weather too. I think the SUN is bigger in TEXAS. I think the sun has a big magnifying glass over it in TEXAS. That is EXACTLY what it feels like. I am not looking forward to the summertime when it gets into the 100's degrees.
When you were a child, did you ever have that one crazy kid in the neighborhood (and pardon me if YOU WERE that one crazy kid) that used to take a magnifying glass outside, hold it in the sunshine a certain way on defenseless little ants and make them pop like popcorn? The poor little things were just burning up. Well, somebody needs to tell the Giant who is holding the magnifying glass up to the sun over TEXAS to please stop. I like to EAT POPCORN, not BE POPCORN.
Yesterday, it was a fairly warm day in the 80's. It was a nice spring day with a slight breeze. Then BAM all of a sudden it is 92 WITH a magnifying glass in place which makes it feel about 3000 degrees. So what does EVERYONE in TEXAS do? Turn on the air conditioning.....ALL AT ONCE...to the coolest degree possible!!!! And what happened as a result? Rolling BLACKOUTS!!!! I was sitting here at the computer and I was just about to start writing my blog about a totally different subject other than the weather, when everything.....and I do mean everything shut off. No air conditioning, no computer, no TV, no clock ...but wait, out on the street there were no traffic lights and certain businesses that didn't have generators to back them up were out of luck too.
And by the way, does anybody want to give to my "Get Kia a Backup HOME GENERATOR Fund"? If each of you ACT NOW, and send a meager 2 cents a week for the next few years, I will be able to get one by the year 2020. For your generosity, I will send you a brochure showing you a hand-drawn picture of me (drawn by my daycare students). This will be a picture of me trying not to sweat in the heat. Just a little reminder to all of you kind folks who have adopted me and donated to the fund. So you say..."this 2 cents thing is too much for me to handle on my tight budget". Well I have an answer for you. Simply organize a rally in honor of me and have each person at the rally go door to door asking for extra unused sticks of deoderant. I could sure use them in this type of heat. And you will have the deep satisfaction of knowing that YOU made a difference in the world.
But on a serious note.....The air conditioning finally came back on. I turned on the news to see if there was any mention of this situation. The news person said that if everyone would have kept their air on but at a reasonable temperature this wouldn't have happened. See what happens when we are selfish or when we try to hoard EVERYTHING for ourselves? Then nobody gets ANYTHING!!! I hate to say it but, I know soooo many people with a "I'm going to get mine and forget everybody else" mentality. This mentality starts as a child. I remember the kid in the classroom who always wanted to be the FIRST one to line up at the door to go outside? He was so busy pushing and shoving everyone else that the teacher ended up making him sit on the bench at play time. He did this every single day. He never learned a lesson and realized that his "me first" mentality was making him last. Do you see ADULTS who have to swerve around you, cut you off and pass you up when they are driving? Isn't it funny how after all of the reckless driving they are doing and burning up their gas, they still end up sitting and waiting at the same red light with you..... and you took your time. Just like that burned up gas, all of the things in this world that we think are sooo important that we must say "ME FIRST" about are going to burn up too. We must remember that our promotion comes from God. As we love and serve others.....we are laying up everlasting treasures in heaven instead of gathering earthly treasures that will burn up and that the moths will eat and that the dust will corrupt.
For those of us who know God, let's begin to place GOD FIRST in our lives. Let's make him our FIRST PRIORITY. For those of you who don't know God yet, please get to know him NOW so you don't go to HELL....because if HELL is hotter than TEXAS, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE!!!!!! Whoo it's hot!!!
John 3:16
Romans 10:9
I John 4:7,8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home