Diary of a happy black woman

Sunday, August 27, 2006

One Year Later
It is so hard to believe that Hurricane Katrina happened just about one year ago. I have personally seen the affects of the Hurricane. It was just about one year ago that I noticed a news report stating that Katrina would most probably hit New Orleans and that people should begin evacuating. I have lived in Los Angeles all of my life but I recently moved to the Houston Texas area. My husband is a native of New Orleans and many of his family members were still residing there at the time of Katrina. Knowing the proximity between Houston and New Orleans, I began tidying up my guest room because I knew that my in-laws were most probably on the way to Houston in the evacuation process......and they were. As we were glued to the TV and watched the news unfold day after day, it was not only heart-wrenching to see what was going on in New Orleans but it was very painful to witness the emotions of uncertainty of the future and loss of the past life that my in-laws knew may be gone for good. I prayed a lot during those days. I thanked God that I had a home to make available to some of them until they were able to get back on their feet.
All of my husband's family was accounted for except for one elderly uncle who refused to leave. I am sorry to say that he perished in the flood waters that rose into his home but everyone else did evacuate and are still in the process of trying to rebuild their lives. Some have moved to Houston permanently. Some moved to Dallas and others have gone back to New Orleans to see if they could try and salvage some of the life they once knew. Things will never ever be the same again for them. The rich culture that made the city of New Orleans unique, vanished overnight. To me, New Orleans was like no place else on earth. They called it "The Big Easy". The theme was "Let the good times roll". The music, the food, the language and the people had their own flavor....much like the Gumbo dish that they are so famous for. The first time I visited New Orleans, I was taken by surprise. You must remember that I was coming from Los Angeles where strangers rarely speak to you or look you in the eye as they pass you on the street. Everywhere I went in New Orleans, I was genuinely and whole-heartedly greeted like a long lost cousin. I can't begin to tell you how many times I was offered to partake in the culinary offerings of others. I quickly found out that to decline was almost darn near offensive. The folks of New Orleans take great pride in their cooking. It is almost like a secret contest. Who makes the best Gumbo or Pralines? Whoever is offering you some at the time!
The architecture is simply fabulous in New Orleans and the French Quarter. There are beautiful Victiorian homes, Acadian styled homes, Gothic looking homes and an exquisite host of other types. There are houses with ornate wrought iron railings going around wrap-around porches and galleries. There are beautiful gardens to accompany these homes, especially on Magazine Street. I just loved going down St. Charles Street on my visits to the French Quarter. I would see the lovely mansions with their gas-light lamps as I viewed the quaint street car (trolly) making its way down the street and I would be immediately transported to a different place and time. It was almost like getting a brief glimpse into history. There is the mixture of Spanish, French, African and Indian influence in the region. The language spoken in New Orleans is English of course but it is the most interesting use of the English language I have ever heard. I just love it. I have secretly practiced it and I generously use it whenever I am repeating something that has been told to me by my in-laws. Once again, it is a Gumbo melting pot of all of these backgrounds mixed together and the dialect reflects this. I am curious though.....now that so many New Orleanians have moved to Texas, will the New Orleans dialect mix with the Texas drawl and form a whole new way of talking. We'll just have to wait and find out. My brother in law is a die hard New Orleans type of guy. He has New Orleans in his blood but when he came to Houston, he purchased a cowboy hat. I have since named him "The Crawfish Cowboy". The other funny thing about New Orleans is that they had drive-thru Daquiri shops. That really goes against the don't drink and drive slogan, huh? But I guess it goes with the "Let the good times roll" theme". New Orleanians love a good party. The whole world knows about Mardi Gras but does the whole world know that they will pretty much have a party for any reason. I am told that they used to have Hurricane Parties. They are also the only people that I know who literally will turn a funeral (which is supposed to be a sad event, right?) into party and a joyous occasion.
There is something to be said for people with this type of resiliency. I believe that their optimism will see them through their challenges and difficulties. Yes, It is one year later since Hurricane Katrina struck. Not much has been accomplished or rectified but I am praying for the people of New Orleans. I am praying for all of those who are still destitute...those who have lost loved ones.... and those who feel lost and alone and displaced. I am praying that those who don't know God yet will come to know him and that those who do know God will have their faith strengthened and renewed. Prayer changes things! Won't you please take some time this week and join me in prayer for the people of New Orleans, Mississippi, Florida, Texas and all those who have been affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita? They thank you and so do I.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

This was such a moving tribute of memories :)
Yes, N.O. was a very special place indeed.
I remember spending my summers there as a child
and workin' on paw-paw's farm...

I think you should seriously persue writing as your next job- once you are done being auntie sweetie mama, to all the babies you care for. You have an excellent writing voice. Your style is simple and easy to read, but your content always touches the heart in some way- be it laughter or or food for thought.
I will join you in prayer of course-
I, too, am grateful to God for his blessings
and wish his healing power for the minds
and hearts of the surviors.

GREAT POST!!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

um...
so when are YOU gonna blog?! hahahaha!!

Hi Sweetie K!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to yall :)

GOD IS AMAZING!
and I am sooo Thankful AND grateful.
Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home